CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ALASKA VACATION

(Land Portion)

About a year ago Josh and I started talking about where we would like to go for our 5 year anniversary. We really hadn't been on a nice long vacation since our honeymoon and we decided 5 years of marriage deserved some celebrating! As you can see from the heading we decided on Alaska. We spent 12 amazingly relaxing, fun and spectacular days there and loved every minute.
 (be warned there are lots of pictures below...but I want to remember each moment)

On Tuesday we flew into Anchorage and spent the night there at Hotel Captain Cook. The hotel (below) had great views of Cook Inlet. Josh and I were also thankful for the nice thick shades in our room. During out time in Alaska the sun rose about 4:30am and set around 11:30pm, but it never really got dark at night. 


Our next stop was the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge. Oh, what a peaceful and relaxing place. The lodge had lounge chairs (as you will see below) on a huge deck that faced Mt. McKinley. The weather cooperated with us we were able to see the whole mountain, all I can say is WOW. We learned that about 1,000 people attempt to climb Mt. McKinley each year (the season lasts from April-July) and less than half make it to the top. While were there 120 people had already tried to summit, 17 made it to the top and one person had lost their life. We loved every minute of taking in the beauty of the Mt. McKinley area by, hiking and relaxing on the deck.
FYI: My pictures below don't do justice of how amazing the mountain really is.

Mt. McKinley is right behind us

The Mountain is to the left, looks like clouds

The Full View



Josh found some snow. We went from 90s in AR to 50-60s in Alaska


So Relaxing....

Our annoying woodpecker friend


Thursday we headed to the train station and took a 4 hour train ride to our next destination, the Denali Princess Lodge. We were able to enjoy some beautiful views, great conversation with our Aussie friends and Josh and I both ordered reindeer chili for lunch....yumm!



While waiting for the train (and throughout the whole trip) we saw several sea planes. 



Our Train





This one is for mom, I went outside on the platform between the cars for awhile...




Beautiful Views



The only somewhat decent picture I had of us on the train. 


DENALI PRINCESS LODGE


We spent 2 nights here and had lots of fun hiking in Denali National Park and shopping by the lodge.  


The main lodge



Below are pictures of our hike up Mt. Healy in Denali. It was a 2 1/2 mile (1,664 ft) climb to the top. We started at the bottom with a temperature of 65 degrees and ended up at the top with a windy temp of about 40. 



Mt. Healy a view from the bottom


We encountered some snow on our way up


 It was a constant up hill climb

Yea, pretty sure I can handle these views while hiking





Taking a break on the way up to enjoy the view


ALMOST THERE...



WE MADE IT!!





 A view of our lodge from the top (I had to zoom in pretty far to get it)

Our little Pika friend. It kept squeaking at us and freaking me out. 



Taking in the view

 What a beautiful place



 My handsome hubby

After 2 days in Denali we boarded a bus for the long, but fun 7 hour drive to Whittier, where we would meet our ship. 



That ends the land portion of our trip, which we loved every minute of. I will post about our time on the ship soon! 










1 comment:

  1. I LOVE all of the pictures so far and the great descriptions of the fun time you two had! It reminds me of when we went with grandma, grandpa and Aunt Andrea :) The views from the Mt. top are gorgeous! Can't wait to see more from the ship!!!

    ReplyDelete